WE HAVE MOVED - CHECK OUT OUR NEW HOME!

Please hold the line........the caller knows you are waiting and we are trying to connect you........

Tuesday 7 September 2010

The Security Institute Conference 2010

Thursday AM and I have had some time to reflect on the last two days. All in all not a bad conference some interesting speakers (and if i am honest some not). I have walked away with some newly acquired knowledge and a few good contacts who I will email later today.
The thing with conferences is it's probably impossible for the organisers (who did a great job by the way) to provide speakers who are relevant and of interest to all the attendees but the common theme was security - or rather 'Security Art or Science' and at times we appeared to wander from this path. To be a little more specific there were at least two speakers who just simply gave a breakdown of the work they and their teams do - which was not inline with the conference portfolio and if I am totally honest I found it a little self indulgent. There was also one speaker who mentioned security twice throughout the entire presentation and is 45mins of my life that i will never get back.
Before anyone asks I don't mean the presentation by 'The Colourworks' which was great and very thought provoking, non 'security' related yes but very relevant to building a more effective and dynamic team.
I thought Lord Carlile was great and what a fantastic president for the SyI bearing in mind the roles past and present he has held.
So the big question for me is still around the institute acquiring Chartered status and how this will be obtainable by me and other members.......I guess it's out of my hands and one to keep a watching brief on.

Below is brief breakdown of the two days:

1330: CoLP a good insight into the work that is being carried out by the NFIB.
1246: Lord Carlile a very worthy president of the SyI.
1151: Azeem Aleem is talking convergence, what an interesting subject. A very knowable presenter and a few bits to take away and think about.
1132: William Hill 30mins in and security has been mentioned once.
1047: Mitchell's and Butlers a basic presentation to a group of experienced security professionals.
0940: Bill Butler from the SIA was interesting. I wouldn't want his job for any amount of money.
0900 Day 2: Don Randall was funny and gave a good insight into the work around acquire Chartership, the register of security particinors and the WCoSP.
1802: End of day one. It's been an entertaining afternoon and we have had some interesting speakers (Hostage UK was my favourite). Let's wait until the end of tomorrow for my overall thoughts. Time for a beer.......the BBQ starts at 7pm.
1721: You and your team - unleashing the x-factor.......very entertaining and interesting actually quite thought provoking!
1623: Hostage UK are on, maybe one day I might need them if I spend anymore time in Croydon! A very interesting presentation from a knowledgable presenter. That's one business card that I will hopefully never need to use!
1500: The Art of the Forger seems to be a debrief of successful UKBA 'jobs'. Entertaining but I question if its relevant to the audience at the senior level of them (not me) are at?! More useful to a bunch of HR managers.
1436: Just had a whirlwind tour of Risk Management. Audit and review were mentioned but a little negatively I thought! Ummm some education needed.
1345: Things have kicked off.......hold on tight.
1135: What a great location! Let's hope the content is up to scratch.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.

Team Chatback